Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 July 2013

The Gallery - John Horne Burns 1947

I came across reference to this book in the NYT.  John Horne Burns was considered an important new postwar writer when this book came out.  He was praised by other well-known american authors at different times (I remember the name of Gore Vidal, for example).  I can see why Gore Vidal and co. would have appreciated his style, as it has some of the hardness and informality of american writing immediately after the war.  Burns also was one of the first american writers to openly bring in homosexuality to his writing (so the article said).  Unfortunately, he was a one book wonder, never producing anything else of note.
I admit I didn't actually read the whole book, which is cut up into a concurrent series of vignettes.  The portrait vignettes I found a bit tedious - my usual impatience with neurotic characters.  The north African vignettes reveal all the prejudice and stereotypes of american and european views on arabs and their culture - interesting from a sociological point of view but not really enjoyable reading.  The vignettes I enjoyed are the ones about the city of Naples itself - they give you a sense of the jumble and vitality of life in the streets of Naples.  These passages reminded me of some of my favourite travel moments, and of why I love Istanbul.

Worth reading for the Naples vignettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment